Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A Bite of Brownie with a Candy Cane Kiss


Over the Holidays I had my heart set on making a chocolate ball cookie rolled in sugar topped by a Hershey Candy Cane Kiss, you know, essentially a chocolate Peanut Butter Blossom (in case I haven't mentioned how much I love them!).  Although I am not a big fan of the zillions of Kiss combinations that are out there, these candy cane ones are adorable. 


So, I perused the internet for chocolate cookie recipes, specifically ones that would result in a nice, puffy cookie and experimented with a few, but they all fell flat (pun intended!).  I cannot stand when cookies bake into eachother, creating a flat side on a round cookie.  Drives me crazy!


At this point I became quite annoyed and considered a plan B.  I decided on brownie bites.  I used a box mix, Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate, and baked up the bites as directed using a mini muffin pan.  I sprayed Pam cooking spray on the pan and used a paper towel to remove excess spray and make sure it was applied evenly.


Once they came out of the oven, I placed a Candy Cane Kiss in the middle of the brownie.  I noticed doing it this way it created an unattractive crack in the indent.  


So, I used a tablespoon measure to make the indent, which looked better.


Once the Kisses are placed on top of  the brownie bites, let them cool for at least an hour before removing from the pan.  Doing so before they are sufficiently cooled can result in deformed Kisses.  The middle bite in the photo below serves as an example of my impatience.


These bites feel like cheating because they are so easy to make.  They are also a nice spur of the moment treat if company is coming with short notice.  The Kisses have a very strong peppermint taste, which compliments the chocolate of the brownies very nicely.  I think they look festive for the Holiday Season, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment